Monday 16 July 2012

Time Flies

It has been awhile since I have even looked at my blog until today. It is hard to believe a month has gone by so fast, but the last 3 and half months have been a blur since opening day so I guess it is par for the course. I just took a glance at the goals I set for our team in February for this upcoming season, it is fair to say I underestimated the task we were presented with. We continue to slowly chip away at the tasks and projects we have planned to complete, but our irrigation system continues to take valuable man hours away from course improvement work. Without the long hours and dedication of Andrew and Colin our system probably would not be anymore than 70% functional. At present time we are around 96% functional and may even be able to start looking system efficiency in the near future.

Working 70 to 80 hour weeks since May has definitely started to effect Andrew and myself so both of us needed to get away and recharge our batteries. I have never taken 6 days off in a row during the golf season, in my ten years in the industry, but it was just what I needed. I came back motivated and recharged this week, ready to continue to make strides in the last half of the season. Our goals for the rest of the season are to improve plant health and playability.

We continue to use herbicides to control clover and dandelions, but with thin turf on the back nine fairways, foxtail has become an issue. I plan to overseed all fairways on the back nine in the fall to create a better stand of turf for the future to help fight weed infestations.  and use a pre emergent herbicide.

Some upcoming practices and projects we will be completing in the next week or two are: solid tine aeration of greens, sodding of weak areas on front nine greens, completion of our bentgrass nursery, prep and seed septic field area, and finish 14 cart path with enviro-paving.

Thanks to everyone from Dinosaur Trail for their positive comments on the golf course this year. In my mind we are not anywhere near the conditions I would like us to be in, but we continue to make strides and it is nice for the crew and myself to hear kind words about the course. I really enjoy going to work everyday, taking the time to stop and talk to as many people as I can, and getting all the feedback that I can.

I leave you with a little slideshow I have created of pictures I have taken over the past few weeks around the golf course, hope you enjoy!



No comments:

Post a Comment